North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault
HB 1342 PASSES! Free Medical Exam-Victims of Rape/Sex Offenses
We did it!
We are pleased to announce that House Bill 1342 passed and is on its way to the Governor for her signature! This bill would not have passed without your support - thank you very much for your calls, letters and emails!
HB 1342 repeals G.S. 143B-480.2 and amends GS 143B-480.1 as follows:
Assistance Program for Victims of Rape and Sex Offenses
• Clarifies that the RVAP pays for the cost of a forensic medical examination for victims of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault.
• Prohibits the medical facility or medical professional from (1) billing victims, their insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, or any other collateral source for the examination and (2) seeking reimbursement from the program after one year from the date of the exam.
• Eliminates the requirement that a victim report to law enforcement.
• Removes the condition that a victim report to a hospital or medical facility within 72 hours.
• Modifies the RVAP payment schedule to permit payment to a physician or SANE nurse of $350, payment of a hospital or facility fee of $250, and payment of other expenses deemed eligible (was an ambulance fee) of $200.
Please take a moment to thank your legislator if he/she voted in support of the bill.
Congratulations and thank you again for your help in getting this bill passed!